When You Have a Land Use or Zoning Law Dispute, Rely on Experienced Real Estate Lawyer Joel R. Spivack to Protect Your Interests


Many real estate lawyers in New Jersey can handle a simple buy-sell residential real estate deal. However, when you are facing a challenging zoning problem or land use issue in South Jersey, you need to seek out the expertise of a real estate lawyer with decades of experience solving zoning and land use disputes.

Joel R. Spivack, Esq. is a former Cherry Hill, NJ Zoning Board Member and a former Cherry Hill Zoning Board attorney. He has in-depth knowledge of the various zoning law and land use ordinances in towns throughout South Jersey. From the application process, through permitting and beyond, Mr. Spivack will make sure all applicable paperwork is filed to the letter of the law.

You May Own the Property, but Your Local Government Sets the Laws

Many homeowners believe that when they own a piece of property they can do whatever they want as long as they are inside their property lines. Not true. Every parcel of land in New Jersey is zoned for a particular use, be it residential, commercial, industrial, etc. Moreover, how each type of zoned property can be improved or changed is governed by local municipal ordinance.

You need to adhere to specific statutes that govern how you are able to alter or improve upon your real estate property in your town. If you fail to follow posted land use and zoning guidelines, obtain permits when appropriate, and municipal construction approvals in a timely manner, you may be subject to costly fines. What’s worse, you may be forced to take down a new structure like a deck or fence or be hit with lawsuits from neighbors whose rights were violated because of your failure to follow municipal land use and zoning laws.

At the Law Office of Joel R. Spivack, we have built a reputation of obtaining land use approvals. We can counsel you in all aspects of real estate law, zoning and land use issues, such as:

  • Environmental ordinances
  • Complex re-zonings
  • Easements
  • Site-plan reviews
  • Municipal permitting
  • Eminent domain
  • Litigation appeals
  • Variance and special exception applications
  • Covenants
  • Permit applications and deadlines

Mr. Spivack will counsel you about the relevant municipal guidelines relating to a variety of common residential zoning and land use issues, including: maximum height of structures, types of materials used in construction, property setbacks (with regard to fences and decks, for example), pool construction guidelines, and specifications for the erection of decks, fences, sheds, etc.

Additionally, if you want to run a business out of your home that requires a land use variance, you will need to apply for permission to your local Zoning Board. Mr. Spivack’s significant professional experience working with Cherry Hill Zoning Officials gives him a unique perspective on the process. He will put your interests first.

Specific Concerns for Commercial Land Owners

If you own a piece of commercial property and want to make changes to an existing structure, add a new structure or change how the property is being used, you will need to get approval before you take action. Similarly, you will need to be mindful of municipal ordinances that govern your ability to make changes to your property.

For example, many towns have guidelines about how much of a tract of land may be occupied by a structure, or where exactly on a property a structure may be located. Height and overall size of structures, including building additions, fences, outbuildings, garages, etc., must conform to municipal zoning and land use ordinances. Additionally, it’s important to be aware of a commercial property’s proximity to residential areas and recreational structures.

Don’t assume you are conforming to your town’s regulations. Laws change constantly. An existing fence that no longer conforms to code may be grandfathered in. However, if you make any changes to that fenced you will likely be forced to adhere completely to current municipal regulations. Consult a qualified lawyer like Joel R. Spivack, Esq. on everything from site plans to permit applications to complicated variance requests. Deciding to proceed without an attorney by your side may cost you serious time and money.

A Real Estate Lawyer with Land Use & Zoning Experience Can Cut Through the Red Tape

When you hire a knowledgeable land use lawyer like Joel R. Spivack, Esq., you can rest assured that he will verify any and all land use and zoning restrictions that may be standing in the way of your ability to proceed with your construction.

PAPERWORK: You will need a site plan drafted and approved by the proper municipal officials. If you need a zoning variance, having an advisor who knows the law will help clarify your application. If necessary, Mr. Spivack can represent you before the panel of zoning officials to make your case.

PUBLIC NOTICE: When you want to make changes to your property, you may not be aware that you have a responsibility to make sure your neighbors and others within a specific distance from your property have the ability to contest your application. You must make specified individuals aware of your application and wait until a public meeting that invites their input is held.

COMPREHENSIVE REPRESENTATION: In some cases, you may need to have other professionals, such as a builder, an engineer or an environmental expert, appear on your behalf. Mr. Spivack will coordinate these professionals for you and defend your position on your application if other interested parties fight your request.

Zoning & Land Use Lawyer Joel R. Spivack, Esq. Knows Your Time & Money are Valuable Commodities; Put His Experience to Work for You

For more than 30 years, Joel R. Spivack, Esq. has successfully represented countless homeowners and businesses in real estate transactions. His in-depth understanding of zoning and land use law is respected and unrivaled in South Jersey.

If you are facing a challenge from neighbors, hitting a brick wall when it comes to getting a variance approved, or feel like your rights as a property owner are being violated, contact the Law Office of Joel R. Spivack today to set up a consultation (for a small fee) to discuss your specific situation. Whatever the issue, Mr. Spivack will work swiftly and creatively to solve your problems fast.

We are here to help you.

Is this a New Jersey matter or Philadelphia Region matter?
We are licensed to practice in New Jersey and Pennsylvania.

Attorney Joel R. Spivack is an experienced bankruptcy and residential real estate transactions lawyer in Cherry Hill, New Jersey. Clients come to us for legal services, but what we really provide is peace of mind. For more than 30 years, Attorney Spivack has helped people make wise, informed decisions about bankruptcy filings, debt relief options and residential real estate transactions.
Skip to content